Professional associations provide networking, leadership and professional learning opportunities for educators. In addition to regular meetings, they may organise workshops, conference, and affiliations with peak bodies. Some associations publish journals or provide online collaborative environments. Specialist associations are an important locus of expertise, professional dialogue and innovation for the teaching profession.
The following list is arranged alphabetically by organisation type or subject area. Some professional associations exist in a viable form only at national level, while others also have an active local group. In cases where there is a local and a national association, the local one is listed first. In some instances, there are two national bodies listed. Some national organisations that are not professional associations, but are significant for their roles in supporting the work of the profession, are also listed.
As voluntary organisations, the internet hosting arrangements for some professional associations may be subject to change. Only associations with currently functioning websites are listed below. Please advise Professional Learning Section if you become aware of links that require updating.
Commerce (Accounting, Business Studies, Economics, Civics and Citizenship, Economics, Global Studies and Legal Studies)
- Business Educators ACT (BEACT)
- Business Educators Australasia Inc.
- Australasian Legal Information Institute
- Australian Curriculum Studies Association Incorporated (ACSA)
- Curriculum Corporation
- Colleges Professional Learning Committee
English as a Second Language
- Association of Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages in the ACT (ATESOL)
- The Australian Council of TESOL Associations (ACTA)
- Australian Federation of Societies for Studies of Society and Environment
- ACT Chapter Australian Association for Environmental Education
- Modern Language Teachers' Association of the ACT (MLTA ACT)
- Australian Federation of Modern Language Teachers' Associations Inc.
- Fdration Internationale des Professeurs de Langues Vivantes (FIPLV - World Federation of Modern Language Associations)
Physical Education and Sport
Vocational Education (VET)
- See Art