The Internal Audit and Risk Management section is responsible for planning and delivering the Directorate’s annual audit program, monitoring the Directorate’s compliance and governance controls and coordination of audit sponsors, auditees and audit providers. It also undertakes reviews and investigations as requested by the Senior Executive Responsible for Business Integrity Risk (SERBIR), Senior Executive Team (SET) and the Audit Committee.
The Internal Audit and Risk Management section engages external auditors to conduct some audits. Providers are sourced from a panel of external audit service providers.
The Directorate’s Audit Committee Charter reflects the Australian National Audit Office and the ACT Treasury best practice guides for Audit Committees. The Committee’s internal audit responsibilities are to:
- oversee the internal audit function and ensure its effectiveness in accordance with ACT Legislation and Government policies and standards;
- periodically review the internal audit charter to ensure appropriate authority, access and reporting arrangements are in place;
- ensure internal audit or other review function activity is planned, coordinated and documented;
- review internal audit reports and provide advice to the Director-General on significant issues identified and actions to be taken; and
- monitor management’s responses to findings and the extent to which recommendations are implemented.
The Audit Committee met four times during 2017-18. The Committee’s membership and attendance are given in Table B5.1.
Table B5.1: Audit Committee membership and meetings in 2017-18
Source: Chief Internal Auditor, Internal Audit and Risk Management
Internal audits undertaken in 2017-18 included:
- School Administration System Gateway Review;
- Workplace health and safety review;
- Management and maintenance of public primary, high and college buildings;
- Restrictive practices review; and
- Evaluation of the Quantitative Evidence Base Supporting School Infrastructure Evaluation.
For further information contact:
Director, Governance and Community Liaison
(02) 6207 2990