Early Childhood Advisory Council
The Early Childhood Advisory Council has been established to foster a stronger partnership between the ACT Government and the early childhood education and care sector.
The Council will run for an initial two year term and include a range of representatives across the sector:
- Ms Cathy Hudson (Chair), Policy Advisor and Deputy Chair ACECQA Board
- Ms Simon Bennett, Anglicare
- Mr Darren Black, YMCA Canberra
- Ms Bernadette Carbin, YWCA Canberra
- Ms Alice Castrission, Catholic Education
- Mr Peter Curtis, Australian Education Union
- Ms Joanne Garrisson, Association of Independent Schools ACT
- Ms Sandy Leitch, Early Childhood Australia
- Ms Lee Maiden, Early Childhood Australia
- Mr Bruce Papps, Northside Community Service
- Ms Reesha Stefak, Woden Early Childhood Centre
- Ms Lisa Syrette, Manager (Childcare) AIS Site Services Branch
- Ms Symmone Turner, Preschool Teachers Professional Association
The initial work of the Council will be to provide advice to the Minister on proposals that arise from the Early Childhood Strategy and the Future of Education conversation, which are both currently in development.
The goal of the Council is to bring together the diverse parts of the education and care sector for collaborative input and advice to Government. Members have been selected not solely as representatives of their organisations but on the basis of their individual skills and expertise in the sector.
The establishment of the Council presents an opportunity to create dynamic and strong partnerships within the sector, with the ultimate aim to increase access to quality early childhood education and care for every child in the ACT.
Contact ECPolicy@act.gov.au for further information on the Council and the development of the Early Childhood Strategy.
Information on the Future of Education is available via www.education.act.gov.au/school_education/the-future-of-education.