Complaints about Early Childhood Education and Care Services
The ACT Regulatory Authority, Children’s Education and Care Assurance (CECA), is authorised under the Education and Care National Law and the Children and Young People Act 2008 to receive complaints about education and care services operating in the ACT (including long day care, outside school hours care, government and non-government preschools).
An approved provider must notify CECA of any complaints alleging that:
- the safety, health or wellbeing of a child or children was or is being compromised while being educated and cared for by the approved education and care service; or
- the National Law and/or National Regulations have been contravened.
Direct complaints can also be made to CECA by anyone other than the approved provider.
In circumstances where the information provided in a complaint alleges possible offences against the National Law, CECA may investigate the allegations.
CECA’s scope excludes complaints that relate to issues such as fees, waiting lists or priority of access to services.
There is a range of other agencies that may assist you depending on the circumstances. For referral to a more appropriate agency it is suggest you contact Access Canberra on 13 22 81.
Making a Complaint
You may have concerns regarding the safety, health or wellbeing of children, or the behaviours and practices of staff at an early childhood service and want to make a complaint.
Your complaint may be about:
- the approved provider or licensee of the service
- any person who controls or manages the service
- or a staff member at the service.
In some circumstances it is more appropriate in the first instance to raise the issues directly with the service.
When you lodge a complaint, CECA will:
- acknowledge your complaint
- contact you if we require further information
- aim to resolve your complaint promptly
- provide you with a written response that is clear and informative
- help you contact the right person if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint.