The Education Directorate (EDU) embraces cultural diversity and is proud to host international students from many countries in our schools and colleges.
Students in Canberra enjoy a balanced education with opportunities for intellectual, sporting and cultural development. International students are made particularly welcome, with high quality Government education in a safe, friendly and multicultural city.
All schools offer high quality learning in modern, well-equipped and supportive environments. Our schools have a range of programs specifically designed to meet the needs of international students with the ability to individually tailor student programs.
Government schooling in Canberra is leading the way in preparing young people for the opportunities and challenges of life in the 21st century. With one of the best government education systems in the country, government school students consistently rate as the best educated in Australia and among the brightest in the world. An international education in Canberra sets students apart from their peers and provides multiple pathways to success.
The International Education Unit (IEU) is responsible for the enrolment of international students and the dependants of temporary residents from Pre School to Year 12 into all government schools in Canberra.
- A safe, friendly, attractive, convenient and multicultural environment in which to study and live.
- The home of a government school system noted for its excellence due to the wide range of high quality programs conducted in a caring and supportive environment.
- The safest capital city in the world.
- The provider of the best of both city and country living, offering world class sporting, recreation and leisure facilities, attractive scenery, a range of tourist attractions and a vibrant and diverse lifestyle.
More information on Canberra can be found on the following websites:
- Study Canberra
- Canberra - Create Your Future
- Canberra Tourism
- Lonely Planet Guide to Canberra
- Visit Canberra
The ACT Education Directorate embraces cultural diversity and welcomes international fee-paying students on a visa subclass 500 (school sector) and the dependants of temporary residents visa holders to enrol into ACT public schools from preschool through to Year 12. As at June 2019 there are 556 international students, of whom 363 are students on visa subclass 500 and 193 are dependants of temporary residents. By schooling sector, there are 292 international students in Colleges, 122 in High Schools and 142 in Primary Schools.