Refugee, Humanitarian, Protection and Safe Haven Visa Holders
The Education Directorate welcomes children settling in Canberra on Refugee (200, 201, 203, 204), Humanitarian (202) and permanent Protection (866) visas and children living in Canberra on Temporary Protection (785) and Safe Haven Enterprise (790) visas to enrol in ACT public schools from Preschool through to Year 12. Note that Preschool is not within the mandatory years of schooling and placement is subject to availability. Priority Enrolment Areas in the ACT apply.
Holders of the above visas are not liable for international student tuition fees. The Directorate requires:
- Copy of foreign passport and visa notification; and
- Proof of ACT residence.
ACT Services Access Cards are not required for these visa holders.
Dependants of asylum seekers on Bridging visas who are applying for a Protection visa are eligible for fee exemption to enrol in ACT public schools.
- Accepts decisions by Companion House based on the provision of a Protection Visa Acknowledgment letter from the Department of Home Affairs that a protection application has been lodged, accepted and is monitored;
- Accepts the ACT Services Access Cards for asylum seekers with no other documents required;
- Processes fee exemptions for asylum seekers for the remainder of the school year in which application is made and reviews annually in November (to ensure that eligibility is still in place);
- Processes fee exemptions for asylum seekers for pre-school acceptance in the year of application, acknowledging that enrolment takes effect from the commencement of the next school year.
Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National)
This interpreting service provided by the Department of Home Affairs, is designed to assist people who do not speak English as their first language and require support in liaising with government agencies in particular.
TIS National provides access to interpreters with more than 160 languages and dialects available with immediate phone interpretation services. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
International Education Unit
ACT Government Education Directorate
GPO Box 158
Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: +61 2 6205 7264
CRICOS Registration Number: 00643J