Safe and Supportive Schools
We all have the right to be treated with fairness and dignity. We all have the right to learn and work in a safe, respectful and supportive school environment that values diversity - an environment free from bullying, harassment, discrimination and violence.
Canberra public schools strive to provide safe, respectful and supportive environments. The following policy, procedures and support documents provide guidance to schools to ensure they have processes and policies in place to address bullying, harassment, violence and to respond to complex and challenging behaviour. The code of conduct outlines acceptable behaviour of students, staff, parents and visitors to Canberra public schools.
The policy and procedures also provide guidance for schools to support students with complex and challenging behaviour.
- Safe and Supportive Schools (164kb)
- Frequently Asked Questions (164.3kb)
- National Safe Schools Framework (121.9kb)
- Building Positive partnerships: Working together with school staff to understand and support behavioural issues at school (123.7kb)
- Suspension Data and Reducing Suspension (128.6kb)
- Suspension Data: Frequently Asked Questions (124.2kb)
Suspension Data: Frequently Asked Questions (372.0kb)
- Code of Conduct Brochure (430kb)
- Code of Conduct Poster (331kb)
The Safe and Supportive policy and procedures is an update to the Providing Safe Schools P-12 suite of policies. It replaces the following policies - Providing Safe Schools P-12, Countering Bullying, Harassment and Violence in ACT Public Schools, Countering Sexual Harassment in ACT Public Schools and Countering Racism in ACT Public Schools; and has been developed in response to the updated National Safe Schools Framework (2013). This Framework is part of a national approach to supporting schools to build safe school communities. The framework outlines a vision which includes creating learning environments which are free from bullying, harassment, aggression and violence; and provides a set of guiding principles which assist school communities to develop positive and practical student safety and wellbeing policies.
Everyone has the right to feel safe at school
If you have concerns about Bullying, it is really important to seek help. The following website has advice and resources.
If you have any concerns about any aspect of your child safety or wellbeing at school, it is important to contact the school. If after talking to your school you are still concerned, please contact the Education Directorate’s Liaison Unit on the following numbers:
- Phone: (02) 6205 5429; or
- Director for Families and Students -
Phone: (02) 6207 3723
- Headspace website.
- Bullying. No Way website.
- Racism. No Way website.
- Kids Helpline website.
- Student Wellbeing Hub - We can make a difference by working together to build safe and supportive schools. The student wellbeing hub has information and resources for schools, parents and students.
- How Cybersmart are you? - This video is designed to help parents navigate through the online world of their teenagers and provides strategies on how to protect their children from potential online risks. The video provides facts, figures, and helpful advice.
- Office of the E-Safety Commissioner- The Office of the E-Safety Commissioner provides online safety education for Australian children and young people, a complaints service for young people who experience serious cyber bullying and address illegal online content through the online content scheme.
- ThinkUKnow website - (Australian Federal Police) internet safety education program for parents, carers and teachers, as well as fact sheets and other resources.
- Stay Smart Online website - provides information for Australian internet users on the steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online. The site has informative videos, quizzes and a free Alert Service that provides information on the latest threats and vulnerabilities.
- Australian Medical Association - Bullying, What you need to know
- ABC Technology Explained website - provides extensive information about all types of communication technology.