ACT Vocational Learning Options (VLOs)
The ACT Education Directorate facilitates Vocational Learning Options (VLOs) for young people enrolled in ACT public high schools and colleges. VLOs are career development and vocational learning programs that aim to connect students with their school, community, learning and the world of work. VLOs place the student at the centre of learning by a focus on achieving outcomes for students that lead to:
- Better futures - by gaining nationally recognised and valuable VET credentials
- Successful learning - by learning new knowledge and skills as a product and engagement with learning as a process
- Personal growth and wellbeing - by increasing self-confidence and experiencing success
- Recognition from community - through public acknowledgement of learning success
- Contribution to community - by developing core skills for work or employability skills to give back to employers, family and community organisations.
Transitions and Careers Officers (TaCOs) and career development practitioners play a significant role in identifying students who may benefit from participating in a VLO. Career development practitioners also identify the industry areas that may best meet the needs of students in their school.