We understand the potential spread of COVID-19 may increase you and/or your family's feelings of stress and anxiety. We have collated a list of useful practical support resources.
- The Australian Psychological Society tips for coping with coronavirus anxiety.
- The World Health Organisation has developed this infographic with helpful recommendations
- Emerging Minds have developed a video Talking to children about difficult events including how to manage media coverage.
- Psychological First Aid for children is an internationally accepted strategy that can be used anytime to provide basic steps in responding to children in distress
- Headspace also provides good advice about how to cope with stress related to COVID-19 for young people.
- The Student Wellbeing Toolkit provides online resources to support student wellbeing.
- Beyond Bluehave great ideas on looking after your wellbeing and supporting others.
- Mind, a UK based organisation, covers different ways to look after your own mental health and that of your family and be prepared for a range of outcomes including isolation during COVID-19.
Social distancing and self-isolating
One way to slow the spread of viruses is social distancing and self-isolating.The Australian Department of Health provides advice on social distancing. You can find out more about avoiding public gatherings and visits to vulnerable groups.
If you are required to self-isolate here are some ideas from Mind on what can help you feel connected with others despite the isolation:
Keep in touch digitally
- Make plans to video chat with people or groups you’d normally see in person.
- You can also arrange phone calls or send instant messages or texts.
Connect with others in similar situations
- If you’re part of a group of people who are also self-isolating, you may be part of group communications to receive updates on your situation.
Other Useful links
These organisations can provide individual support or further information.
- Kids Help Line https://kidshelpline.com.au/
- Lifeline https://www.lifeline.org.au/
- Youth Beyond Blue https://www.youthbeyondblue.com/
- Commonwealth Government Disability COVID hotline https://www.dss.gov.au/disability-and-carers/information-and-referrals-for-people-with-disability-and-their-supporters-about-coronavirus-covid-19#about