How to meet the Challenge
- The Chief Minister's Reading Challenge commences on 26 February 2018 and concludes on 7 September 2018.
- The Challenge is open to all ACT schools and is for students in Preschool to Year 8. Note that registration is for schools only – not individuals.
- There is no prescribed Book List for the Challenge. Students, teachers, parents and carers can access Reading Tips on how to select a book and how to engage students in the Challenge.
- Prizes will be awarded to winning schools at the Awards Ceremony (date TBC).
- Read 15 books of your own choice before 7 September 2018. These can be novels, non-fiction, poetry, or books in a language other than English.
- Collect an Individual Student Reading Record (1.8Mb) from your teacher or download a copy from our website. Each time you complete a book; don't forget to add it to your reading record. Alternatively, record the books you have read on your online Google Individual Reading Record template or Google Whole Class Reading Record (ask your teacher if they have created one of these documents for your class using the templates provided).
- When you have finished reading a book, ask a parent, carer or teacher to initial/verify your entry.
- When you have finished reading all 15 books and have recorded them, give your completed Individual Student Reading Record to your teacher who will give it to the school contact person for the Challenge. If you are recording your books online through Google Apps, your teacher may submit your Reading Record for you.
- Ensure your school has registered for the Challenge via the online School Registration Form. This form requires details about the total number of participating students in each year level and must be submitted by 7 March 2018. The contact staff member will receive information about the Challenge and alerts about updates to the website from the CMRC mailbox.
- Distribute theIndividual Student Reading Record for each student OR if your school has access to Google Apps for Education, use the online templates - Google Individual Reading Record templateor Google Whole Class Reading Record Template. These editable templates will allow you to create personalised class document/s for your students to access and record their books online. If you would like further details and instructions about the Google template, please email CMRC@act.gov.au.
- Collect Student Reading Records from students who have successfully completed the Challenge (or print your Google Individual/Whole Class Reading Record) in early September. Give the Reading Record/s to the contact staff member for your school who will collate the information on the online School Verification Form .
- Students in Preschool, Kindergarten, Year one and Year two can read books themselves or with someone else.
- Students may list books that are read to them on their Student Reading Record .
- Students may also read books in their home language.
Instructions For Students
Instructions For Teachers
The completed School Verification Form must be submitted no later than 21 September 2018. This form requires details about the total number of students in each year level who successfully completed the 2018 Challenge. Please use the electronic copy of your School Registration Form (that was emailed to you at the beginning of the Challenge), toassist with this process.
Students in Preschool to Year 2
Students in Year 3 to Year 8
Students in Years three to eight may read books of their own choice, including in their home language.