How to Meet the Challenge
- The Chief Minister's Reading Challenge commences in Term One each year and concludes in Term Three.
- The Challenge is open to all ACT schools and is for students in Preschool to Year 8. Note that registration is for schools only – not individuals.
- There is no prescribed Book List for the Challenge. Students, teachers, parents and carers can access Reading Tips on how to select a book and how to engage students in the Challenge.
- Prizes will be awarded to winning schools at the Awards Ceremony (date TBC).
Instructions for Students
- Read 15 books of your own choice during the Challenge period. These can be novels, non-fiction, poetry, or books in a language other than English.
- Collect an Individual Student Reading Record (1.8Mb) from your teacher or download a copy from our website. Each time you complete a book, don't forget to add it to your reading record. Alternatively, record the books you have read on your online Google Individual Reading Record template or Google Whole Class Reading Record (ask your teacher if they have created one of these documents for your class using the templates provided).
- When you have finished reading a book, ask a parent, carer or teacher to initial/verify your entry.
- When you have finished reading all 15 books and have recorded them, give your completed Individual Student Reading Record to your teacher who will give it to the school contact person for the Challenge. If you are recording your books online through Google Apps, your teacher may submit your Reading Record for you.
Instructions for Teachers
- Ensure your school has registered for the Challenge via the online School Registration Form. This form requires details about the total number of participating students in each year level. The contact staff member will receive information about the Challenge and alerts about updates to the website from the CMRC mailbox.
- Distribute the Individual Student Reading Record for each student or if your school has access to Google Apps for Education, use the online templates - Google Individual Reading Record template or Google Whole Class Reading Record Template. These editable templates will allow you to create personalised class document/s for your students to access and record their books online. If you would like further details and instructions about the Google template, please email CMRC@act.gov.au
- Collect Student Reading Records from students who have successfully completed the Challenge (or print your Google Individual/Whole Class Reading Record) in early September. Give the Reading Record/s to the contact staff member for your school who will collate the information on the online School Verification Form .
- The completed School Verification Form must be submitted at the end of the Challenge period. This form requires details about the total number of students in each year level who successfully completed the Challenge. Please use the electronic copy of your School Registration Form (that was emailed to you at the beginning of the Challenge) to assist with this process.
Students in Preschool to Year 2
- Students in Preschool, Kindergarten, Year 1 and Year 2 can read books themselves or with someone else.
- Students may list books that are read to them on their Student Reading Record .
- Students may also read books in their home language.
Students in Year 3 to Year 8
Students in Years 3 to 8 may read books of their own choice, including in their home language.