In the Australian Capital Territory all home educated children must be registered with the ACT Education Directorate (the Directorate) in accordance with the Education Act 2004 (the Act).
ACT Home Education Requirements
Under the Education Act 2004 the parent(s) of a child registered for home education must:
- provide a high-quality education for the child;
- document the educational opportunities offered to the child;
- document the strategies used to help the child to learn;
- make available for inspection home education programs, materials or other records;
- conduct the home education from the home base listed on the registration certificate;
- apply in writing for registration before provisional registration ends;
- apply in writing for registration renewal at least the prescribed period (3 months) before registration ends; and
- give a report about the educational progress of the child once every year (Progress Report).
To speak with a Home Education Liaison Officer Phone: +61 2 6205 5429
To request a home education registration application form: Education Directorate Contact Form
Home Education Amendments November 2019
The government debated and passed amendments to home education in the November 2019 sittings.
The changes passed in the Legislative Assembly to home education are:
- Removal of provisional registration
- Creating a three month grace period for an education plan to be produced by new home educators
- Adding a condition that the child live, or usually live, in the ACT
- Adding a condition that the home base is suitable for education
- Adding a condition that the education progress report is provided once every year and as part of a renewal application
- The Director-General has 28 days to notify parents of the decision to register
- The Director-General must, rather than may, register if the conditions are met
- An explicit statement that applying for home education is a reasonable excuse from compulsory school attendance
- Parents to notify of changes to register information within 28 days
- Insert specific guideline and regulation making powers
- Consequential amendments to regulation
The Directorate is engaging with the home education community as the changes become effective.