The Gifted and Talented Students Policy 2014 reflects the ACT Government's continued interest in pursuing the very best provisions to ensure the very best for our gifted and talented students. This new Policy provides consistent advice to principals regarding the best approaches in identifying and supporting gifted and talented students in ACT government schools.
The aim of the Policy is to ensure that every child has the opportunity to receive developmentally appropriate programs regardless of their socio-economic or cultural background, based on their level of giftedness and those other factors which are individual to each student.
Gifted students have the potential to perform at a level that is significantly beyond that of the majority of other children of the same age, in one or more skill areas such as language, problem solving, physical or interpersonal skills. Gifted students display generic abilities that can be developed into different skills, depending on activities taken up by the student. For example, manual dexterity (a natural physical ability), can be shaped into the particular skills of a pianist, a dentist, or a video-game player.
Once a student has been identified as gifted, schools can use appropriate educational interventions and strategies to cater for them. Developmentally appropriate programs for gifted and talented students include a combination of provisions to allow students access to meaningful learning opportunities such as a differentiated curriculum, incorporating advanced learning through:
- enrichment experiences;
- counselling interventions;
- acceleration options; and
These provisions are dependent on each other and strongly supported by research as central to increasing learning outcomes for gifted individuals.
Please contact the school principal for additional information on the Gifted and Talented Students Policy 2014.
The Gifted and Talented Students Policy is available on the Directorate’s Policies page at http://www.education.act.gov.au/publications_and_policies/policies.
Parent Fact Sheets
The Gifted and Talented Parent Fact Sheets support the ACT Government's Gifted and Talented Students Policy 2014 which aims to ensure that gifted and talented students have education support tailored to meet their individual needs.
There are fourteen ACT Education Directorate Gifted and Talented Parent Fact Sheets available as follows:
- Overview and Frequently Asked Questions (57.9 KB)
- Overview and Frequently Asked Questions (214.3 KB)
- Giftedness and Talent (1.5 MB)
- Giftedness and Talent (781.8 KB)
- Identification (81.5 KB)
- Identification (224.2 KB)
- Social-Emotional Needs (79.0 KB)
- Social-Emotional Needs (173.4 KB)
- Gifted Underachievers (69.0 KB)
- Gifted Underachievers (159.5 KB)
- Dual Exceptionality (66.0 KB)
- Dual Exceptionality (495.8 KB)
- Differentiation (64.0 KB)
- Differentiation (125.3 KB)
- Grouping (68.0 KB)
- Grouping (119.1 KB)
- Programs and Provisions (68.0 KB)
- Programs and Provisions (199.6 KB)
- Subject Acceleration (78.0 KB)
- Subject Acceleration (302.2 KB)
- Whole-grade Acceleration (67.5 KB)
- Whole-grade Acceleration (317.4 KB)
- Communicating with Schools (44.2 KB)
- Communicating with Schools (176.3 KB)
- Myths and Facts (68.0 KB)
- Myths and Facts (169.5 KB)