English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D) is the study of English by students whose first language is a language or dialect other than English, and who require focused educational support to assist them in attaining proficiency in Standard Australian English. EAL/D was previously referred to as English as a Second Language (ESL).
For more information please email EALD@act.gov.au.
Useful EAL/D Resources
EAL/D Parent Fact Sheet
The EAL/D parent fact sheet aligns with the EAL/D teacher fact sheets and provides EAL/D parents with strategies to engage with schools to support their children's educational needs. The fact sheet has been translated into 12 high population and newly emerging languages within the ACT: Arabic, Burmese, Cantonese, Dari, Farsi, Hindi, Karen, Korean, Mandarin, Mon, Urdu and Vietnamese.
- Advice for Parents (1.1 MB)
- Advice for Parents (72.0 KB)
- Advice for Parents - Arabic (1.2 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Burmese (1.2 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Cantonese (1.3 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Dari (1.2 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Farsi (1.2 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Hindi (1.3 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Karen (1.2 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Korean (1.3 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Mandarin (1.3 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Mon (1.2 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Urdu (1.2 MB)
- Advice for Parents - Vietnamese (1.2 MB)
Introductory English Centres
Introductory English Centres (IECs) are co-located in mainstream schools and provide support to newly arrived students with minimal English through intensive language teaching, prior to entry into mainstream schooling. IECs provide a safe and inviting place to introduce school life in Australia to students with little or no English. Schools can contact the executive teacher attached to each IEC to discuss possible enrolment of students.
There are five primary IECs and one secondary IEC in the ACT:
- Belconnen Primary Introductory English Centre (BPIEC) at Charnwood Dunlop School -- Phone: 620 57322
- Northside Primary Introductory English Centre (NPIEC) at North Ainslie Primary School -- Phone: 620 56565
- Southside Primary Introductory English Centre (SPIEC) at Hughes Primary School -- Phone: 620 55669
- Tuggeranong Primary Introductory English Centre (TPIEC) at Wanniassa Hills Primary School -- Phone: 614 20600
- Gungahlin Primary Introductory English Centre (GPIEC) at Palmerston District Primary School – Phone: 614 21440
- Secondary Introductory English Centre (SIEC) at Dickson College -- Phone: 614 20149