In mid-2012, the then Minister for Education and Training Dr Chris Bourke MLA, agreed to the establishment of a High Level Ministerial Taskforce into ACT public schools canteens. The Taskforce’s direction was to provide advice to the Minister for Education and Training on public school canteens in relation to:
- examining and reporting on strategies to support the sustainability of canteens in ACT public schools, and
- promoting healthy food options for students and their families.
The Taskforce has taken a collaborative approach in working through these issues. The Chair of the Taskforce is the Executive Director, Corporate Services, ACT Education and Training Directorate. Members of the Taskforce include:
- ACT Education and Training Directorate
- ACT Council of Parents and Citizens’ Association
- Nutrition Australia ACT
- ACT Health
- ACT School Canteen Association (ceased operations as of June 2013)
- Healthy Kids Association NSW
- Experts from areas of business and management - at discretion of the Taskforce.
The purpose of this document is to report research, findings and outcomes of the High Level Ministerial Taskforce on Canteens to the Minister for Education and Training and provide a number of recommendations to the Minister.